National Officiating Summit in Georgia
The Georgia High School Association (GHSA) and the Georgia Athletic Officials Association (GAOA) is hosting Officiate Georgia Day during the 29th National Association of Sports Officials’ (NASO) Summit at the Cobb Galleria Center in Atlanta on July 30, 2011.
This year’s Officiate Georgia Day will be the largest gathering of high school officials ever. Registration is taking place now at www.gaathleticofficials.org. The registration fee is $20.00, which includes lunch and presentations by top officials from the NFL, NBA, NCAA, and ASA, along with some of Georgia’s most experienced high school officials.
GAOA’s Officiate GA Day planning committee has developed a special day filled with high-quality presentations, exhibits, and guest speakers for Georgia high school officials. The Speakers list includes:
- Jerry Markbreit, renowned NFL Official (retired), NASO Gold Whistle recipient (2007), and to-date the only Head Official to officiate in four Super Bowls
- Steve Shaw, recently named Commissioner of SEC Football Officials, NCAA Football Official (retired) who has been on the field for BCS and SEC Championship games
- Billy Smith, current NFL Official
- Jerome Boger, current NFL Official
- Phil Laurie, MIAA Director of Football Officials and NCAA Official (retired)
- Doug Shows, NCAA Basketball Official who worked the NCAA Men’s 2011 Championship Game
- Tony Greene, NCAA Basketball Official & 2011 Naismith Award Winner
- Tom Lopes, IAABO Executive Director and NCAA Basketball Official (retired)
- Craig Cress, ASA Director of Membership and inductee into the National Softball Hall of Fame
- Jim Lord, Executive Director of AACCA Cheerleading
- Bill Topp, Vice President of Publishing and Management Services and Editor for Referee Magazine
- Bud Hennebaul, GHSA Wrestling Liaison and NCAA Wrestling Official
- Pam Carter, GHSA Cheerleading Liaison
- Dennis Payne, GHSA Associate Director for Football, Baseball, and Swimming and Diving
- Joan Powell, NCAA national coordinator of volleyball officials
These accomplished experts will provide Officiate Georgia Day attendees with insight, instruction, inspiration, and entertainment as they address excellence in officiating.
In addition to the exceptional educational and professional development sessions, there will be ample time to visit with these officiating celebrities, make new friends, rekindle old friendships, and network with Georgia officials from across the entire state. GAOA and GHSA are proud to co-sponsor this year’s Summit and we sincerely hope that you will join us for this fantastic opportunity.
There are three registration packages.
- Registration Package A’s fee is $20.00 and includes your Officiate GA Day pass to all sessions and sport equipment display area
- Registration Package B’s fee is $30.00 and includes your Officiate GA Day pass to all sessions and sport equipment display area, a GAOA membership, and a 33% GAOA membership discount
- Registration Package C’s fee is $27.50 and includes your Officiate GA Day pass to all sessions and sport equipment display area, a GAOA membership for University / College Intramural officials, and a 50% GAOA membership discount. All three packages include lunch.
GHSA Leadership Day
Elected leaders from GHSA officiating associations will meet at the Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel on Sunday, July 31, 2011, to learn about important issues that enhance the quality of high school officiating. This meeting will bridge the gap between the “Officiate GA Day” and the “NASO Summit” that begins Sunday evening. There will be no cost for these sessions, but the leaders must register with the GHSA office.
1:00 - KEYNOTE ADDRESS: delivered by Ron Johnson (NBA Senior Vice President of Referee Operations) “Leadership That Motivates Others to Excel”
1:45 - "Resources for Effective Leadership in Officiating" - NASO-ON Presentation
2:45 - "Legal Guidelines for Officials" - Panel on taxation issues, due-process, etc.
3:20 - "GHSA Expectations for Officiating Associations" - Ernie Yarbrough and Dennis Payne, GHSA Staff
29th Annual Sports Officiating Summit - Image in Officiating
July 31 - August 2, 2011 - Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel
Officials have become public persons. What they do in and out of uniform bears directly on the well-being of your officiating program. The look, the conduct, the utterances of your officials can easily get more attention than a ruling. Fresh thinking is required. This Summit shows you what has changed, how it has changed, and the changes coming. It provides the insights and tools you need. Rules, mechanics, image - the time is now.
Find out more at www.naso.org/summit2011.