Officials Policies and Procedures FAQ

1. I would like to become a high school game/contest official in Georgia. What steps do I need to take?
Answer: All registrations for the renewal of, or new, officials is done through local associations. That information can be obtained in two ways:
a. Go to the GHSA Website @ to access the “officials” tab then the “association contact” tab in the QUICK SOURCE box to obtain contact information for local associations.
b. Call the GHSA Office and ask for Pam Thompson, Officials’ Registrar @ 706-647-7473 Ext. 30

2. I am moving to Georgia from another state in which I am registered. How do I transfer my registration and years of service information?
Answer: Call your former state association and ask them to transfer your officiating records (years of service, classification status, previous year test scores, and rules clinic attendance records) to the GHSA Office.
a. Fax information to the GHSA Office @ 706-647-2638

3. Do my years of service and my rating from another state carryover when I register in Georgia?
Answer: When the GHSA Office receives your records, an assessment of your officiating history will be made and a classification status will be assigned.

4. Is completion of the annual rules clinic mandatory?
Answer: Yes, each year in the sport you are registered to be eligible for varsity level assignments and post-season consideration.

5. Is it mandatory to take the annual rules exam?
Answer: Yes, each year in the sport you are registered to be eligible for varsity level assignments, and each sport has a specific minimum score to be considered for post-season assignment.

6. If I have taken the rules exam and attended the rules clinic in another state, do I receive credit when I transfer to Georgia?
Answer: Yes, if you have taken the NFHS Exams and your previous state association forwards your scores to the GHSA Office.

7. I have some concerns about my schedule, promotion, tier rating, level of games assigned, etc. Should I call the GHSA Office to resolve these issues?
Answer: No, GHSA game/contest officials are “independent contractors” and matters of this nature should be resolved at the local association level. If the issues cannot be resolved in that manner, then the GHSA Office may become involved in settling the matter.

8. Is it mandatory to attend an annual Officials Development Camp by sport?
Answer: Yes, to be considered for post-season assignment attendance is required each year, and to be eligible for “varsity” level assignments every-other-year.

9. What is the criteria for post-season eligibility?
Answer: Minimum number of games worked (by sport), minimum score of (85) on the annual rules exam, completion of the annual rules clinic, minimum evaluation rating per sport, and current year registration.