BASKETBALL WEEKLY BLAST – 2020-21 - #3
Please ensure your membership receives the information in these “Weekly Blasts” throughout the season in an effort to consistently address the issues observed during GHSA games.
- OFFICIAL SCORER – The host school must provide an official score for each game, and that individual is required to WEAR a black/white stripped official’s shirt. If the host school does not have one, they should request one from the local association covering their regular season games. Go to the host school Game Manager and notify him/her that failure to comply will result in starting the game with a technical foul charged to the host school. Repeat offenses of this rule will result in extended penalties to the guilty school for non-compliance of an NFHS/GHSA playing rule.
- ARRIVAL AT THE SITE – The first order of business is to meet with the host school Game Manager, and discuss all the COVID-19 Rules Modifications to ensure the safest possible event for all participants.
- COVID-19 RULES MODIFICATIONS FOR GAME OFFICIALS – Game officials MUST comply with the following:
- Game officials shall wear a face covering or a whistle covering during the games.
- Game officials shall wear a face covering when addressing a coach, player, or table personnel. If using only a whistle covering officials shall not stand closer than 6-feet when addressing anyone during the game.
NOTE: We are still receiving reports of non-compliance by contest officials. Subsequent reports of violations will results in fines to the local associations.
- 30-SECOND SHOT CLOCK – In the event that the shot clock is being administered, the device operator MUST be certified through the GHSA Shot Clock Certification Program on the GHSA website.
- GHSA PASSES – The 2020-21 GHSA Pass shall be accepted at ALL GHSA sanctioned events, unless schools do not allow spectators or have met their respective school system spectator number limit. But, if the school is allowing spectators to enter they must also allow current year GHSA passes.
- EJECTIONS – Per GHSA By-Law 2.72 (a) an ejection cannot be reviewed nor reversed once it has been assessed and submitted on a Game Report. Make sure an ejection is warranted, but if it is take care of it. Game Reports for ejections are to be submitted in the MIS system no later than 24-hours of the incident, and other incidents are to be submitted no later than 72-hours of the incident.
- FOUL REPORTING – When reporting a foul to the table, make sure your clearly state the number. Example: Say “fifteen” not one five”.
- PRE ASSIGNMENT COMMUNICATION – Due to COVID-19 games are being rescheduled and sometimes cancelled. It is critical that you communicate with the school and your partners prior to arrival at the site to ensure the game has not been changed.
- REGION TOURNAMENTS – Local associations are responsible for scheduling region tournament game assignments. Keep in mind that some flexibility in scheduling is necessary this year due to COVID-19. The 2-game minimum is being waived if the local association can competently handle the assignments. Please work with your regions to work out the scheduling of region tournament games.
Thank you for all you do for the GHSA and our member schools, but we must adhere to the COVID-19 modifications this season if we want to do all we can to ensure we complete the season.
Happy New Year, and be safe.