GHSA SOFTBALL WEEKLY BLAST #6
AL DATTOLO – Sadly, Al did not survive his accident and passed away on Saturday, September 30. He proudly served the GHSA as an umpire, rules liaison, and on numerous championship event support staffs for more than 30 years. He will be sorely missed by so many. He was a true friend to the GHSA and all of you. The following is the information concerning his service:
Visitation: Sunday, October 8 between 2:00 - 4:00 PM
Site: Westbury Funeral Home - 212 E. College St. - Jackson, GA 30233
Please continue to keep Al’s wife Ginger and his family in your prayers.
END OF SEASON – Keep in mind the “final” regular season playing date is Thursday, October 12. No games shall be scheduled after that date. Region seeds advancing to the State Tournament are due in the MIS System no later than 12:00 noon on Friday, October 13. The Super Regionals start Monday October 16 and continue through the 19th. The “Super Regional Team Instructions” are attached to this Blast and available on the GHSA website.
NFHS Softball Weekly Rule Interpretations
Situation 2: With R1 on first base and no outs, B2 hits the ball to F4 who steps on second base to retire R1 and B2 is safe at first base. As R1 continues running toward their third base dugout, F4 throws the ball back to F1. F1 seeing R1 continuing to run toward third, throws the ball to F5 at third base while B2 remains at first base. The umpire rules that although the retired R1 continued to run drawing a throw, there was no play to interfere with as B2 remained at first base so there is no violation. RULING: Correct ruling. Rule 8-6-16c states that a runner continuing to run and drawing a throw “may be considered” a form of interference. In this case, since there was no play to interfere with it should not be considered interference. (8-6-16; 8-6-16c)
Situation 3: With R1 on first base and no outs, B2 has a 0 ball 2 strike count when they swing at the next pitch that F2 does not catch. B2 as a normal reaction to a dropped third strike begins running to first base, the plate umpire announces, “Batter is out, Batter is out”. R1 seeing the ball is dropped attempts to steal second base. F2 throws the ball toward F3 but overthrows them resulting in the ball ending up in right field. R1 seeing the overthrow continues to third base, B2 realizes about halfway to first base that they are out and begins moving toward the first base dugout. The umpire rules that R1 is out since B2 was out on the pitch and still ran drawing a throw to first base. RULING: Incorrect ruling. Rule 8-616c has an exception that it is not interference if a batter-runner mistakenly runs on a dropped third strike and draws a throw. As long as B2 only drew a throw and did not commit an act of interference (example: being hit by the throw to F3 attempting to make a play on R1 coming back to first base) they would not be guilty of interference. (8-6-16c).
TEAM INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUPER REGIONAL SOFTBALL GAMES
- The Super Regional series will be hosted by the #1 seeded team in each 4-team pod. The Super Regional shall be a 4-team double-elimination format.
- Play dates: October 16 & 17 (A-D2, 3A, 5A, 7A) October 18 & 19 (A-D1, 2A, 4A, 6A)
- The #1 Seed (Host School) shall play the 1st game of the Super Regional
- Games scheduled with starting times prior to 3:00 PM are subject to availability of umpire crews.
- Contest officials will be assigned by the GHSA Office. If you are hosting and you have NOT heard from the game officials no later than (48) hours in advance of the first game, contact the GHSA Office.
- The higher seeded team shall be the “home” team in each game.
- The host school is responsible for the following:
- Official game balls (2 per game)
- Secure dressing area for umpires
- Ticket gate personnel
- Site Security & Game Manager
- Set up GoFan account for ticketing
- On-site lightning detection system
NOTE: The designated home team each game is responsible for keeping the official score book
- FINANCES as follows:
- Ticket prices are $12.00 per day or $20.00 2-day pass.
- All tickets sold exclusively on GoFan (https://gofan.co/app/school/GHSA).
- The host school shall contact GoFan to set up the exclusive ticket link for your respective Super Regional.
- The district umpire assignment coordinator assigned to each series is responsible to invoice the host schools for umpire fees prior to, or within 24 hours following, the final game by agreement with the host school. Games will be assigned as a 3-person umpire crew.
- Please complete the Fast-Pitch State Softball Playoffs Financial Report as found on the Forms page of the GHSA website within 10 days of the event conclusion. NOTE: The “Financial Report” form can be found in the GHSA Forms booklet, or on the GHSA web site.
- All other GHSA Policies and Procedures pertaining to the State Tournament apply unless otherwise specified. (Refer to page 80 of the GHSA White Book)
- Each participating team member is allowed free admission at the site in which they are participating until their team is eliminated from the tournament.
- ONLY GHSA Coaches Passes and officials with a GHSA Official’s Pass are to be admitted at no charge with proof of identification.
- Each school is responsible for the behavior of its coaches, players, and spectators. Therefore, the behavior and sportsmanship of spectators is a high priority and must be monitored by on-site school administrators.
- Only “Team Essential Personnel” are allowed in the team dugouts. “Spirit” individuals, non-playing students, coaches’ children, photographers etc. are NOT considered “Team Essential Personnel”.
- Teams advancing to the “Elite Eight” in Columbus will find “Softball Elite Eight Team Instructions” on the GHSA web site.
- If your team advances to the Elite Eight in Columbus there is a MANDATORY Head Coach Zoom call Monday, October 23 @ 7:00 PM. Failure to be on the call will result in a $250.00 fine. The call link is:
Important GoFan Playoff Info
Game Upload Information
- Please note that GoFan will upload all games into GoFan HQ for the school
- Please note that all games will be hidden initially to allow for edits to date, time, etc.
- Edits to your events can be made in GoFan HQ
- If you need assistance logging into your GoFanHQ, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In case you have questions concerning help withGoFan
GoFan Success Links
- GoFan Demo Slides
- GoFan Free Success Kit (best practices, promotion, graphics, templates)
- GoFan Shop (if needed - signs, point-of-sale)
- Get GoFan/ Helpful Resources
GoFan Training/Help Links
- How To Guide
- How to redeem tickets
- How to Find Tickets
- How to share and transfer tickets
NEED HELP? Use our knowledge base website - GoFan School Support